One Man's Experience

One 40-year-old male's experience with big-toe arthritis, hallux rigidus, and bilateral cheilectomy surgery (debridement of first metatarsophalangeal joint).

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day10: Pics & Doc Visit

Doctor visit today. Stitches won't come out till 3 weeks after surgery, so I have a while to go till I'm out of the "cast covers" for bathing.

Driving again:  Drove for the first time today. No problem at all to drive an automatic since my right foot is in much better shape.
Exercises:  Doc said to start exercises today; simply bending joints up and and down with a finger (pulling toe toward me and away from me). Five minutes every hour. Is there a degree I should aim to achieve?  "As far as possible."

Pain:  Left foot in considerable pain if I try to move joints. This will not be an issue for most people reading this (who most likely are just getting the standard cheilectomy of MPT joint), but what is especially painful for me is the interphalangeal (IP) joint of left foot (which also underwent debridement in my case). I'm generally optimistic, but a little worried about this joint since I have read that it is more difficult to fix with surgery than the MPT joint.

In the pic below, you see two different surgical wounds on each foot.  The lower incisions are for the "cheilectomy" on the MTP joints.  The upper incisions are for arthritis in the interphalangeal (IP) joint (which is probably irrelevant to most readers here).

No comments:

Post a Comment