One Man's Experience

One 40-year-old male's experience with big-toe arthritis, hallux rigidus, and bilateral cheilectomy surgery (debridement of first metatarsophalangeal joint).

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Days 11-13: Dwindling Patience with Pain

I've concluded that I practically have had a unilateral cheilectomy.  So few problems in my R foot, but my L foot, which received greater surgical intervention, is the source of a lot of pain.

Once the bandages are removed (in my case, at 10 days), it allows your feet much great flexibility and range of motion, and thus more potential for moving the joints in ways that cause pain.  At day 10, my doc sent me home with wrapped in only Ace bandages, and said that it was OK to not wear them around the house; not wearing the Ace bandage would encourage the joints to start moving again.  Still have to keep the feet dry until stitches are removed at 3 weeks.

Bathing without bandages:  I have figured out a way to clean my feet and other toes (I seriously cannot go 3 weeks without washing my feet!) without getting water on the wound.  While sitting in a dry tub, I carefully wash with soap and rinse using a cup, without the soap or water getting into the wounds.

Days 11-12:  I started to get bold, trying to live more normally.  Running around car shopping, going to picnics, walking a fair distance, standing in the garden for an hour watering plants.  Still putting a lot of weight on my heels and the outside of my L foot to avoid putting pressure on the big toe joints, which makes the entire foot hurt.  By the end of day 12, my L foot was in serious pain, the wounds so swollen that little drops of fluid were escaping through the stitches.  I had to take another painkiller to get to sleep and my left foot still hurt in the morning.  Today, Day 13, I stayed in all day and gave the foot some rest. Pretty discouraged that I'm still somewhat housebound, but I also know that I have to be patient and give it some time.

4 comments:

  1. Days 11-14
    Aug 30-Sept 2
    I feel pretty confident that if I had not developed these blisters that my feet would be feeling almost normal. Instead, I still have numb feeling toes (the blisters have hardened finally, but still leaving my toes not feeling normal).
    My big toes are feeling pretty good. I can wiggle all of my toes, although I have not ventured bending the big toe yet. I'm still walking around in my surgery boots, but am no longer sleeping in them - I feel confident on my feet enough to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night with just my bandages on. I prefer to not have my feet bandaged whenever I can - the air is helping the blistered parts of my feet heal.
    Walking about 4000 steps per day now without any assistance from walkers, or walking sticks. My step length is almost normal although my speed is definitely not normal.

    Spent two days driving over the weekend (long weekend away - 12 hour car drive one way). Feet just swelled a little although that may have been because I left them unwrapped all day. The bandages definitely help my feet from swelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day 15
    Sept 3
    Back at work today. Still wearing my booties (ugh) but I drove to work in them (automatic transmission - bought an automatic earlier this year in preparation for surgery). Feel absolutely fine after a whole day at work. Still walking kind of "clump-ily" but I think that is mostly because of the booties. Still a bit hesitant to bend my metatarsals at all. Looking forward to having stitches out on day 17 (had to push it back a day because of big work meeting) and being able to wear regular shoes (and wash my feet!). Experimenting with wearing my Birkenstock Arizona's around the house. Have the toe strap pretty loose so there is no pressure on the stitches and the ankle strap tighter than usual so that they stay on my feet. I may bring them into work tomorrow to see how it feels to wear them at work instead of the booties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having cheilectomies performed on both feet beginning with the right one on Oct. 1st. Needless to say, I am getting very nervous. Michael, I would love to hear an update on your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja, Hope your recovery continues well.
    Denise, Good luck!

    ReplyDelete